05-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #115
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
I have felt more unsafe traveling France and Germany at times than I ever have in the US. It’s all about perspective and where you come from.
Where do you live or where were you going where you felt unsafe in either of those countries? I've been to Germany several times and never felt unsafe--admittedly, I'm usually in larger cities. I didn't spend a ton of time in Paris, but I never felt unsafe in the time I had to wander the city. To me, traveling to Europe really isn't that much different than the US. Certainly, there are some cultural differences, but I think when it comes to day-to-day life, we're more similar than different.

I spent a week in an orphanage in St Petersburg Russia in '97. That was about as sketchy a place as I've ever been. But even then, I didn't feel like my life was in jeopardy, but I suppose I was just a stupid college kid back then. I haven't been anywhere in Asia, Africa, or South America. But I am aware of some of things that go on in other areas. You don't need to actually leave somewhere to pay attention to some of this things going on in the rest of the world. As an example, I'm watching a Frontline episode about what COVID-19 has been like in Italy. I don't need to go there to get this information (of course, I'd never say no to a trip to Italy--never been), you just need a desire to learn a little something about other places outside of your home. And even threads like this are really informational. It's a wonderful thing to hear from people from different places, who have different challenges they have to deal with on a daily basis. My biggest issue at the moment is how big my hair is getting---so I'm super lucky. For now.
Appreciate 1