Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrinF30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrinF30 View Post
I would say goals in terms of power are anywhere at or over 400whp at this point, I know a turbo upgrade will be my next big step if I want large power gain.

I'm currently just running the Stage 2 93OCT OTS map from BootMod3. When did you start having HPFP issues? What were you running when you experienced them? And how much did that pump run you if you don't mind me asking.
Now that you have mentioned your goal, you will need a custom tune Upgraded HPFP and maybe E85 mix to get to 400whp.

Post some log of your current setup to ensure everything is running properly.

Also, an intake doe not yield much aside from turbo noise. Upgraded DV might be good but I wouldn't swap out unless your stock dv is failing.
Okay, I have had recommendations of a custom tune rather then OTS..

Yeah I figured as much, just was wondering if it provided any real power gain other than turbo noise.. will keep that in mind for the DV.

I will try to get a good 3rd gear log tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm not able to have E85 in my area.. (reliably or close).
Here's my take on a custom tune. You and I have similar cars and goals. I have a 2015 335ix running BootMod3 Stage2 93 Octane. I'm trying to maximize its performance and drivability while understanding that the next jump up in performance (to an upgraded turbo) is some really serious parts and labor money.

Everyone I've asked for opinions on a custom tune spouts the same old line about a custom tune is always better than an off the shelf tune. I feel like replying "well no sh*t Sherlock!". The question is how much better? $500 better? Because that is what the top tuners who have been recommended to me charge. None of them will answer the question either which leads me to believe that the answer is not good.

I suspect that if someone did before/after dyno runs of BootMod3 Stage2 N55 EWG 93 Octane OTS with stock turbo VS a custom $500 tune, that the performance increases would not be massive.

When I dug deeper I learned that most of the guys who were promoting custom tunes had increased the capacity for a custom tune to be effective by upgrading their turbo and/or moving to more exotic fueling than just 93 Octane pump gas.

When I had some more detailed discussions with experienced guys who I trust, they all said that in my scenario it wouldn't make sense to spend $500 for a custom tune unless I first upgraded the turbo or went to exotic fueling.

I also like the idea of running a corporately supported tune. BootMod3 has had three version upgrades since I first installed it. I like that it is evolving and that there is a support group that I can call. That wouldn't be the case if I was custom tuned and had one guy to attempt to reach.

I've been reading and keeping one eye open concerning HPFP upgrades. I haven't seen concrete evidence that my car needs one. Again, it's an issue that exotic fueling and upgraded Turbos hit. I've read good things about Dorch. BootMod3 has added support for the Dorch pump within its tune.

I'm also intrigued about the possibility of upgrading to a B58 Supra pump. I understand that neither of the B58 pumps require any tuning support. They just work. I consider that an advantage if my car ever had an issue and was flashed back to stock. The fuel pump would still work.

I understand that adapting the B58 Supra HPFP to the N55 engine may require a wiring harness extension. There is already one to upgrade the original B58 pump to the B58 Supra pump (~$35) so I assume that it's possible to do a similar N55 to B58 Supra pump wiring harness extension.

I've also read references to the flange on the B58 Supra pump having to be cut/trimmed/modified in some way to fit on the N55. I haven't seen the Supra pump myself. I am wondering if this flange is removable? If so, I could take it to a racing mod house to do the modifications to the flange properly.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0