03-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #15
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz
My XDrive works so well with AS that I haven't had any reason to even go to snows. The only way I'd go RWD is if I lived in the sunbelt. You'll have contrary opinions, but I doubt you'll see many coming from actual XDrive owners.
I have noticed a shocking trend that rwd owners who run snow tires think they have the right answer and xdrive on all seasons is dangerous. xdrive owners think xdrive on all seasons is fine and rwd with snows is dangerous. Amazing that people think the decision they have made that suits their own needs best is the right one.

To the op I would say read through the numerous threads on this and try to decipher between the emotional outbursts on both sides the core of what caused them to make their decisions.

I will offer my own case I have a moderately hilly commute in Boston. I had rwd and a limited slip with all seasons and that was not good. I had rwd with snows and a limited slip and that was also not good for dealing with hills. Would still get stuck climbing from a stop and required a ton of clutch work to balance the right power to the tires. I went to s4 Quattro and got snows and that was very good. Now I have x drive with all seasons and for my purposes it has been equally as good. My #1 concern was to not get stuck on my way home during a snow storm and xdrive solves that. I don't track my car so I'm not worried about losing some handling ability at the limit. That is my use case. You will find others have completely different experiences and need to find the one that best lines up with your situation. There is no one size fits all answer to what will allow you to Maximize enjoyment of your car in your life.
Appreciate 0