06-05-2019, 11:36 PM   #15
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
I read another thread where someone claimed that the bump stops in the Dinan kit were trimmed/shortened to a specific height, not just standard oem stops. What say you?
And why would the stock f30 be setup to engage the bump stops so early in the shock's range of travel? Seems like a lot of unnecessary impacts get transferred to the structure of the car like this, making for a harsh ride, am I wrong?
You can see from their pictures that the stops aren't cut. If you were going to cut bump stops you'd cut the top portion (side that doesn't engage the damper).

Stops can be engaged earlier on to provide a progressive spring effect where you have a soft OE spring initial rate, and then the stop boosts the rate when it comes into play. If the bump stop is too stiff/hard then it can transmit too much force into the body, but its spring characteristics can be tuned just like swapping to stiffer/softer springs themselves.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0