Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
The way to get these installed without removing the shock involves loosening the two lower control arms. Take off the wheel, unhook the brake lines and ABS sensors, remove the sway bar end link from the strut, loosen the chassis side bolts on the TS and LCA. Now up top remove the chassis strut brace bolt then start to remove the 3 (or 5 if LCI) top bolts connecting the strut to the chassis. Do not just take them all off without supporting the hub or it will fall out and ruin your day. Carefully lower out the strut assembly from the well. If you have coilovers take note of the perch position then get rid of the preload. If you have struts and springs use a spring compressor to contain the spring. Remove the top bolt, move the spring bearing to the camber plate, reinstall in reverse. Re-torque all arms under load.

Not a hard job if you've wrenched before but having a handy friend around helps a lot, particularly with loosening the top bolts and guiding out the strut.
I didn't even have to loosen any control arm bolts for it to clear.

5 strut tower bolts
1 strut brace bolt
1 sway bar end link bolt

Push down a bit and the strut will swing out.
Good to know. I was also doing this with the intention of retorquing so I took the opportunity while it was apart.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00