View Single Post
      01-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #35
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'm not following the full fault finding and decision making path here. Pictures to BMW NA, what was their response? 'Scoring' in all, or just No. 2 cylinder? I'm reading all cylinders from OP and paperwork. That doesn't sound right at all.

Therefore is it really scoring, (pictures are too small to interrogate closely), or just rub marks from the thrust side of the pistons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzcast21 View Post
Then dealer told me the spark plug on Cylinder 2 had fouled and yet the ignition coil and injector is functioning okay. They did a leakdown on the engine and compression test and found there are some scoring on the cylinder walls and they have sent pictures to BMW NA and still waiting for them to get back to the dealer.
In my experience BMW must have OK'd the remedial work, not a new engine, if they have been involved. I've been involved with scoring in a BMW M62 V8, (one cylinder) BMW's UK engine guru got involved straight away, (with the dealer) once pictures were sent to him.

BTW, if there is definitely scoring, is there any noise, piston slap? Compression and Leak Down figures (3 - 6%) are not indicating a severe scoring issue.

Doesn't appear the OP is getting the full account. I'm intrigued.
Appreciate 0