07-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #103
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Better software?

Very interesting. That must knock a bit off the 0 to 60 dash...
Not sure 'better' is the best description, I'd say 'different software', as BMW do make claims about their sport auto transmissions, have done so since the 6-speed variant.

For the F30, BMW say...

Quote:
A sports version of the new eight-speed automatic transmission is available as a further option for the new BMW 3 Series Sedan. This unit offers even sportier shift characteristics, and the option of changing gear manually using the paddle shifts on the steering wheel.
Quote:
An eight-speed sports automatic transmission with faster shift times and sporty steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts is also available as an option.
Sure we'd like a bit more technical detail, but for some reason BMW keep the data (for all models) very close to their chest.

BTW, not had a chance to compare the F30 autos, but I've driven the F10 with both standard and sport 8-speed auto boxes, there is a definite difference, the sport auto feels so much more precise and in tune with a sporty drive. I'd not say the immediate feeling is 'faster' changes in sport mode from the sport auto, but a different and better feel (now I'm using the 'better' word), for both up and down changes.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0