View Single Post
      04-17-2024, 08:07 AM   #2
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

I'm always a bit dubious as to how effective these cleans are. If you've ever taken the inlet manifold off a 100k+ diesel and had a look inside they're normally absolutely caked with coked up deposits and it's hard to believe these will magically disappear, I'd not want big lumps of carbon being ingested into the engine

There are loads of videos on YouTube about this, some showing before and after results on a gas analyser (I think Edd China did one) which look amazing, others that physically strip the inlet system before and after the treatment and show little visual difference

So I'm on the fence really, if you notice a beneficial difference then fine but personally doubt any difference can be that long lasting

My thought is if regular cleans are undertaken well before the carbon has built up then possibly this will stop the inlet system coking up but I don't have any evidence for this.

The problem with inlet system coking is due to blow-by oil vapour combining with soot from the EGR system. That's why regular oil changes with the correct low-ash oil is so important.

Another reason to disregard the ridiculously long oil change intervals of CBS
Appreciate 0