View Single Post
      04-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #182
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If I were looking for a luxury brand, I think I would perceived Mercedes as more of a luxury brand than BMW. I always view BMW as the brand that is the sportiest and Mercedes being the most luxurious, Audi is somewhere in between. I think people in the US prefer BMW over Audi because of Audi's pass reputation. Audi had some bad publicity in the last few decades here in the US. Its only recently that people are starting to overlook them.
BMW does play around with the lease numbers, that’s why they lease cars at such a high volume.
I don't think that it's bad publicity. I think that it's a few things.
1) It's the relationship with VW that gives them a 2nd tier perception compared to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus. It shouldn't matter but it's the perception that I have seen and heard.
2) Audi (and VW) had some pretty bad reliability issues a few years back and it is pretty well known. Audi has greatly increased their reliability but it will take a little while to recover.
3) Their designs (on their higher volume cars) are just not as sexy as BMW or mercedes. The mid-90s A4 was very plain and IMO ugly. The recent A4 is much nicer but still looks to maintstream (and too much like a Jetta).