View Single Post
      06-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #57
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

Quote:
I like the overall shape. This car is BMW's bread and butter, so they can't afford to screw it up.
I agree with this statement. The 3 series has become more evolutionary than revolutionary on purpose. It makes up a big chunk of BMW's sales worldwide, so they typically play it safe. Like the 911, you can look at the car and know what it is.

Quote:
The interior will probably wind up being OK, nothing very exciting, although it seems the latest interior designs are becoming more japanese (whatever that means).
I hope it doesn't mean that the 3-series will have more buttons and doodads like their Japanese competitors. The plain, functional, but stylish interior is one of the reasons I abandoned the safe choice of a reliable Japanese car for a potentially higher-maintenance BMW. Plain = good.

Quote:
But 2 inches longer? The new 3 sedan is approaching the size of the E60!
This is unfortunate, as the E90 is just the right size in my book - not too large, but not too small. If you're too fat to fit in one, go to the gym or get on a bike (or both, like I do). I wish that they had kept the exterior dimensions the same, but increase the wheelbase and concentrated on reducing the weight, which is probably about 200 lbs. more than it should be. Take the money saved from stamping out larger body parts and spend it on lighter weight materials throughout the car.

The 3-series is considered a medium to large size car in Europe, as most folks drive around in Golfs or smaller vehicles and seem to fit just fine. If the car stayed the same size but with a larger wheelbase/interior and reduced weight, this would be more in line with BMW's mantra of 'efficient dynamics'.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car

Last edited by 111R; 06-10-2011 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0