View Single Post
      10-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #29
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i xDrive M-Sport

Help with getting CD Artist/Track info to work again with CD Imports to CIC HDD

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I'm hoping someone can offer some insight, as my dealership's track record in the being-knowledgeable field is pretty piss poor. I have a 2011 e90 335 with CIC iDrive, enhanced Bluetooth, smartphone integration, etc. As we all know part of the CIC's HDD is partitioned off for the Gracenote Database. In my case, as it hasn't been updated post build, my GNDB version is 01/2011, as is visible via the hidden service menu's Gracenote menu option. However, I do believe as part of the built in Telematics/BMW Assist SIM card, the CIC could also download CD track info from Gracenote that may not be included in one's HDD GNDB. This belief is supported via my car previously fetching CD track info for albums released post 01/2011.

In my car this function had been working up to about a month ago. Again today, it failed to fetch track information of a brand new release (Bonobo's The North Borders Tour - Live). That album would of course not be in my onboard database due to its release date. However, my car has pulled data for later-released CDs in months past. I mention this fact as I don't think simply updating the car's GNDB via DVD/torrent would bring back former functionality.

So, long story short, what could be the cause of this function having stopped working? If the download function via BMW's Telematics/BMW Assist has stopped working, what might be the cause? I was under the assumption that a new BMW included this functionality for 4 years from in-service date (which for my car would be March 2012). If true, I should be good until March 2016. While I know I have a number of other options for listening to external music in CIC (i.e., iPhone via USB, iPhone via Snap-In, USB Drive via glovebox input, etc.), importing a CD onto the car's HDD is pretty useless without track info present.

Any thoughts on how I can get this function back?
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*
Appreciate 0