View Single Post
      09-21-2020, 12:07 AM   #1
Bpsuls
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

Front differential or the transfer case?

New to the forum, very informative. Here's my situation. So my 2014 328d was due to go in for the T-case Flex/disc recall in the summer, I brought it in on Sep 1 and despite having asked to make sure they had a T-case (they told me it would be replaced in June when I went the first time) they didn't and it was rescheduled to the 15th. Well last Saturday as i was taking off from a stop sign on a hill i hear a big BANG and whirrrrr and that's it, lost propulsion. I thought, crap, the t-case kicked it literally 3 days before the appointment! WTF! Anyways i had the heap towed to BMW and told them I want my money back for the tow, it should have been fixed on the 1st. Anyways they call back and tell me its not the T-case its the Front Diff! Really?? It glides in Park. Need the E brake to keep the car still. Would a exploded front diff do that? The tech said it could, and he said there is play in the drive shaft so the diff is toast. I'll admit I believe him on that one because I felt some small amount of play last winter when i was servicing it too. I just didn't think if you blew a front diff you would lose all propulsion and that the car could not be placed in park. Any thoughts? After some reluctance they told me they would do the recall with the diff "broken". Of course i will fix it myself, they quoted me $6300 to fix it!! I found a 17k donor for 800$.

But its nagging at me, is it really the front diff? I guess I'll know for sure tomorrow as I'll check to see if it drives. I was going to pick it up with a U-Haul trailer and my 3/4 ton.

Really appreciate the feedback. My first Beemer, probably my last this thing has been nothing but trouble. Thanks.
Appreciate 0