View Single Post
      01-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMANRICK View Post
Was that the mother of all "snow storms" in Vancouver 2 weeks ago when we got about 2" of snow that was gone in 2 days. As I said before, winter tires are largely a waste in warm and wet Vancouver........ You complain about the "handling" of the xdrive and then throw 100 pounds of weight in your trunk when it snows and drive around for 4 months of the year with winter tires when the weather is raining and very rarely goes below freezing and is often above 10 degrees celsius
Where I live, at higher elevation in Vancouver, we received about 4-5" of wet snow, that quickly packed down to form 2" of solid ice on the road surface.
I saw lots of FWD drive cars sliding around and several SUVs as well. With the Pirelli Sottozeros, my car had no problems whatsoever.

One summer wheel/tire in the trunk weighs about 55lbs., not 100 ! As for driving around with winter performance tires, these tires do perform better than all season tires at lower temperatures, from 7C and below.

By the way, I have never "complained" about the "handling of the Xdrive". I have simply stated that I prefer to own a RWD BMW for reasons previously stated. To each his own !