View Single Post
      02-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #25
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
If you don't want to get dedicated track tires, in the least, get better street tires like MPS4S. RE71R's are currently the hot tire for track use and occasional street use. They wear faster but perform just as well as NT01's but are still good in the wet. I'm currently on MPS4S but I am looking to get RE71R's on my M3 CS for track use.
In my experience the RE71Rs are faster than the MPS4S but only by 0.5 secs/lap at my driving skill level and the course I drive at, which is mostly fast swooping turns. The negative I found with the RE71s, like an R-comp, they have cycles. At about session 20 (over 7 days on 3 weekends + Fridays) they start to lose their grip. Not 100% but their grip is average as you count off the sessions. I've set my fastest lap with the RE71R and when they hit max grip, a couple of 20 min sessions after initial use, they are indeed very good. But, they don't last long. It really depends on how many track days you attend but for me, 3 weekends turned the fronts into slicks, still driveable only without rain.

The PS4S does last longer and it's rain grip is better as well. You can still be quite quick on PS4S tires. But a word of advice on the 4S. Watch your tire pressures. At the time my car was above factory camber but still low, at roughly 1.5, I chunked a relatively new tire, on the shoulder, right down to the chord. At some point during a track day, I have to set the PS4S to 30 psi cold. My rule of thumb is to keep it under 40 psi hot. That's not it's max but it leaves a good margin.

Also, depending on session time and track length, no need to go balls to the walls every lap. We get 25 min sessions over a 4 km course. Warm up, cool down, other farting around good divers will get in about 10 laps. Of that, I'd say only 6-7 are hot, with 2-4 cool laps. If the tires are over heating, ease off the accelerator, focus on your line and late/trail braking. Outside of drag racing, almost all other kinds of racing drivers need to manage resources. Take a tip from the pros.
Appreciate 0