01-15-2021, 06:06 AM   #17
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP, SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
I haven't driven either but it strikes me (as you have confirmed fuel costs aren't a consideration as you are not doing very high mileage) that the decision is more xDrive vs not? Surely the 40i is a class above the 30d in all respects - it's not like a 40i vs 35/40d comparison which would be a little different but again more made on mileage/xDrive I would have thought. The 40i is sure to be better on all fronts - performance and handling. I don't know how they compare for cost but I guess the 40i in the spec you will want will be harder to find than the ubiquitous 30d.

As for xDrive - I went from xDrive to an M3 I haven't missed it at all (not a surprise there I suppose) - but I have got myself a set of winters...
xD is definitely a plus because I spend a fair bit of time driving country roads in the Lake District.

As for 40i vs 30d, the 40i is superb when you can rev it out, but there's an appeal of the low-down grunt of the d, that makes day to day driving effortless. I think I'd be happy with a 30d (especially knowing that it could be easily modded) but you're right, the 40i is a class above.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13500.00