View Single Post
      02-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #22
sydande
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEV View Post
15+ years of driving experience have taught me you do not need AWD for winter travel if you don't experience snow often.

Good all season (cold temperature friendly compounds) + good driving skills will see you through. For extreme conditions (3-6 months of heavy snow) a good winter tire is a smart choice.

I drove over 1600 miles in freezing conditions and snow in my all season Pirellis this season and never broke a sweat. I kept my speed below 75 MPH, did not try any aggressive passing moves and the car performed well on unplowed highway stretches and unplowed parking lots. Hills were not a problem unless you have an extreme incline to conquer.

ECO + All Season + 50/50 weight distribution made for a comfortable trip.

I know this debate will continue but the facts tend to support winter tires as being the better choice over AWD.

Autocar Tire Test

I think it boils down to Drivers' Skills IMHO
we just had a huge snow storm here in toronto, around 25cm-30cm...i have a 335i rwd with bridgestone lm-60 winter tires, the thing is i couldnt make it even out of my garage never mind about if i could handle the snow on the street, lol i dont know how much driver skills can help there
Appreciate 0