12-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #164
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEV View Post
When I purchased my F30 AH3, I did not test drive the 328i or the 335i. The AH3 was my first and only test drive and it has almost every available option.

When I took my car in for the service campaign and was given a 328i with only a comfort package, it was like night and day. Yes, BMW did a good job with the 4 cylinder engine but I am now spoiled and can't go back. The AH3 has such a tremendous reserve of power and it's all about the way it is delivered. The inline six is a very sublime engine. The passing power is effortless all the time.

A.S.S.
Before I bought the AH3, I thought what the big deal? Why are people wanting it disabled? Now I know why. The A.S.S. is very noticeable and is not refined. The AH3 is elegant in operation and I love the smooth transition from electric mode to engine start. I would never want to disable engine stop at lights on the AH3.

Gas Mileage
Not enough of a difference to bother with the 2.0

The Weight Difference?
Maybe it was the Bridgestone tires or something else but the suspension dampening in the 328i was okay but the car felt less substantial as it piloted down the road.

The AH3 with the inline six up front and the battery in the trunk contributes to a ride quality that feels more substantial and planted. I have the Luxury line with the standard suspension and was seeking the ride comfort of a 5 series in smaller size.

I only wish BMW would offer a 18-22 way comfort seat option for the 3 series with power adjustable everything.

I guess it is true what they say. Don't test drive the most powerful engine 1st or everything else will fall short.
Nice review. Yes, the 50/50 weight distribution of the AH3 does feel rather nice. And the A.S.S. is implemented completely different on the AH3 vs. other BMWs. There is no way to disable it, but there would never be a need to. You typically cannot tell when the motor is running vs. the battery. There is zero "shudder" or transition from ICE to battery.
Appreciate 0