View Single Post
      07-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #60
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW335 View Post
Because Audi has a A5/S5 which they sell for a premium over the A4/S4 even though its the same car(pretty much), so this is BMW's chance to do the same. Call it a 4 series and increase the mark-up of the coupe over the sedan!
The 4-series (and, more recently, 2 series) name change has been rumored for.. what seems like a decade, at least. You might have a point that they can charge a bit more of a premium now.

I'm curious to see how this car looks. The E46 seems about as big as BMW could go with the coupe still looking kind of good, and even that had pretty big doors and a huge slab of metal where the rear door should go.

The E92 definitely stepped over the line.. and I can't imagine how the F32 could look well proportioned, assuming the wheelbase gets longer over the E92.

The 6 series is in a kind of different world of no longer being a 'large coupe' but being more of a GT car with a vestigal backseat. Not to say you couldn't be comfortable in it once installed, but the 3(4?) series coupes have always had very usable backseats even in the coupes. The access required to get people back in there has made the doors huge.. not sure how long this trend can go on.

(on the other hand, there are plenty of SMALL coupes that also have the horrible slab-of-metal-where-there-should-be-a-rear-door look.. think Scion tC, and on the slightly larger end, the G35/G37, accord coupe, etc, all fail to pull off this look).

I'm thinking the ever-increasing beltline only adds to the problem.
Appreciate 0