View Single Post
      09-04-2019, 03:44 AM   #40
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Self Tuned 340i 8AT RWD

Guys you are missing the key factor here, OCTANE.

Yes high compression and high boost should have great power assuming using very high octane fuel.

High compression + high boost = knock > Retarded timing > Less power.

Add the appropriate octane fuel to the equation and you are fine, also putting into consideration ambient temperature.

I witnessed this personally when I ran stage 1 with more boost than MPPSK I actually had less power at top end as the only fuel available here is like 88 octane.

Even with MPPSK and only 14 PSI of boost at 6500 RPM my timing is around 8-10 degrees which is very bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
How was this determined? Generally higher compression ratio cars do extraordinary with gains when adding boost... i.e. the 5.0 with a supercharger is a beast due to high compression motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I've experienced the opposite. Typically you lower the compression ratio to add more boost. Otherwise you need to rely on timing to make good power. It just seems like on our cars, adding a lot more boost doesn't make a lot more power. I'm not sure if the turbo is limited or if the engine just doesn't respond as well to it. But regardless there will be a point where efficiency is at its peak, and then adding more boost pressure just creates more heat.

Until I get on a dyno and adjust my tune I can't say for certain. Just what I'm seeing to be typical since our tunes rarely push over 20 psi.

Last edited by IMS-340C; 09-04-2019 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50