11-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #48
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
As in ... it's a lot less car. You know - there's less car. It's a 1 series which is basically a hot hatch, right? Not the newer, bigger, fatter, softer F30. I just meant you're always gonna have less car between you and the chassis; between you and the dynamics and the engine and whatnot so it'll always be a more visceral experience, like for like.

You'll hear more of the induction note because you're closer to the front with less "stuff" between you and the intakes. You'll hear more of the echaust note because you're closer to the rear ... 'cause it's smaller. You know: it's just a lot less car
It's only a could of CMs shorter wheel base, but yes it is a smaller car.

So surpirse surprise my car engine does not sound like a diesel when started! No 'Dag Dag Dag' and no rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
You are joking are you not, mid 40's that would not do that down hill with the engine off.
MId 20's more like. This 328i I have loaned is doing 36MPG out of town being "Nursed" and I mean "Nursed", when I drive it like I would drive a diesel it shows 25MPG if I am lucky.
Maybe this is where the 335i on cruise is more economical then the 28i.
http://cars.uk.msn.com/blog/inside-t...8-fa83cfbfbe08

The M135i is getting low 40s on mway cruise as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
My F11 is no way sounding like a diesel on start up, there is hardy any DI sound at all from the engine. It is much more refined on start up that any diesel, and once warm no comparison in any way to any N57 diesel I've driven.

Both my son and I drive BMW 3.0d engines (single and bi-turbo) and when I took my son out in the F11, from start up he was saying "now this is what a BMW engine should be like". It is the near silence, the refinement, vibration free running throughout the rev range.

Now I totally go along with the diesel engine performance feel, been there, driven loads of them. The 330d/530d have a good engine, I don't think anyone will dispute that fact. The 335i/535i engine delivery is not a 'second best' IMO, 'different' as I've said before, but with years of BMW driving it is one of the best BMW engines I've ever driven, (we are not comparing M-cars here) and oozes BMW refinement. But I've been spoiled with a BMW 4.4 V8, that may partly explain why a petrol has more appeal to me, even with the excellent BMW diesel engines.

HighlandPete
Perhaps we have a more balanced view. 35i is not perfect and better than 30d in some ways. And vice versa for the 30d