Rep
Drives: '18 540i '15 X5 '03 530i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35i  [0.00]
2018 MW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalis View Post
I emailed ZF a while ago about this and this is what the replied with:

Thanks for contacting us in regard to your 335i and transmission maintenance. There is a factory schedule included in your maintenance schedule, however it's basic and does not address driving style or climate only normal and severe driving. Severe can be classified as Stop and go city, aggressive driving, heavy loads or short trips. With these types of driving we recommend 60,000 miles. For light driving which would be driving several miles to fully heat the transmission or continuous highway driving we would recommend 80,000 miles. Also be sure to use either ZF Lifeguard Fluid 8 or BMW fluid. The software for ZF transmissions includes properties of the fluid and if an alternative fluid is used it may affect transmission adaptions and could cause a failsafe mode. Also be sure to use Genuine BMW or ZF pan assembly with filter as it is as important to remove any clutch material or other debris from the oil pan as it is to replace the fluid.

Now the SA I used to go to said that they recommend to never touch the ATF and that its a "lifetime fill". I even sent him this response and he still recommended against it. It is my inclination to follow the instructions from the manufacturer of the transmission, however, its ultimately your choice.
I had '03 e39 at 80k and '06 e53 at 100k drain , filter change and refill. Both cars drive and shifted ok with no issues.
E39 was sold and still being driven by my friend, e53 drives well till I sold it at 128k miles.

These have different ZF tranny but both uses same fluid.
Appreciate 0