Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Quote:
That's one cracking GTi and thanks the the write up.
Thanks

Quote:
I loved my Mk6 GTi a few years back which was in candy white.

I do sometimes think about saving my self a couple of hundred quid pcm and getting into a well spec'd GTi again as in all honesly they do everything I need out of a car.
... it definitely does that and more, for me, if I am being honest. It's plenty quick enough and carries all that I need carrying in a really nice smart package that is well built...

Quote:
Very shallow and wrong I know - but badge snobbery is probably the only thing that holds be back.
I don't think of it as badge snobbery so much as folk making the choices they want to make for their own reasons... I do get a little miffed sometimes when folk seem to suggest there is a big difference between cars/makes etc where there really is not so much of a difference (I guess that is what I would think of as badge snobbery), but if it is more a case of a person saying "you pays your money you makes your choice", then you just got to do what you want...

That's all I ever do..

For me, it came down to a choice of 1 series vrs Golf vrs Hyundai i30 N Performance (and possibly an A3 of some sort)... I thought the Golf the better overall proposition of those... There was not much to choose in terms of quality, just different approaches in style etc... I could have gone for the Hyundai if it had a DSG box and I was making simply a decision based on the "hot" element of "hot hatch"...

Golf R, S3 etc were a bit too much for me...
The Golf R never looks as good to me styling wise as the GTI. Some R's imo can look very plain looking.
I agree with that. The GTI is the iconic understated hot hatch, the R is nondescript at the front and overstated at the back. 1 exhaust pipe per cylinder FFS.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0