Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Its called profits, do you even want a 3 series in the future? Heck do you even want a BMW in the future.

Sorry but if they pulled out all the "luxury items" in these cars the only people who would buy them are the true enthusiast, which honestly dont amount to a hill of beans.

We are at best less then 10% of the BMW buying public. It would turn BMW into a niche player which is great for enthusiast, but with the over head the BMW has and the amount they currently sell it would bring them right under.

So I think we need to stop talking about roll up windows and non powered seats in a 3 series, it just isnt going to happen, and honestly its not feasible.
Well said. On a recent trip to my dealer, a SA told me he had about 200-300 cars and only 2 or 3 were sticks and the couldn't sell them! I don't want to start another stick vs auto war, but this is an indication of where things are going. When I test drove my first 1600 and 2002 in 1970, most of the cars the dealer had were sticks.

The trend is clear - the percentage of BMW buyers that are enthusiasts is declining and probably will continue to decline. BMW has to pay attention to the luxury factor or they won't sell many cars. I think they've got the performance/luxury balance about right. The car has the luxury fundamentals covered, but the emphasis is on performance, which is what enthusiasts want. I'd hate to see BMW start trying to compete with Lexus on luxury.
Appreciate 0