View Single Post
      04-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #208
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknugget View Post
I don't think that it's bad publicity. I think that it's a few things.
1) It's the relationship with VW that gives them a 2nd tier perception compared to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus. It shouldn't matter but it's the perception that I have seen and heard.
2) Audi (and VW) had some pretty bad reliability issues a few years back and it is pretty well known. Audi has greatly increased their reliability but it will take a little while to recover.
3) Their designs (on their higher volume cars) are just not as sexy as BMW or mercedes. The mid-90s A4 was very plain and IMO ugly. The recent A4 is much nicer but still looks to maintstream (and too much like a Jetta).
Ok, since everyone keeps misquoting me without actually posting the quote....look above

I didn't say anything about the supply chain. I didn't call Audi a 2nd tier company. I did discuss that a lot of people I know perceive Audi as less prestigious that other luxury brands due to: Their well known association with VW.......their reliability issues 5-10 years ago.....and that the A4/S4 looks very similar to a Jetta (although VW likely copied the Audi). These are all facts. Hell, the VW and Audi parts have both logos stamped on them so it's obvioulsy not a secret. It's great business economically. It just has its upsides and downsides.

Please respond to posts only after you have read them and don't say "someone responded....and then make things up."