View Single Post
      09-13-2019, 11:24 PM   #1
blckz06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Champion Spark Plug B58 Engine Needs Replaced

Have been running MP's Stage 2+ flash tune and transmission tune for the past 5 months. Initial impressions were very good, as reflected in my very favorable review posted at the time.

Fast-forward to over a week ago. Was driving through some back roads, rpms in the mid to upper range. All of a sudden the car starts running extremely rough, as if running on half the cylinders. Drivetrain Malfunction error comes up and there's absolutely no power.

Fast-forward to a few days ago. Dealer says the spark plug cracked and fell into the engine. They did some additional testing, apparently found scoring/related damage and are calling for engine replacement.

So much for running MP's recommended Champion spark plugs (gapped at 0.022).

MP's response: "Modified tune runs much higher boost, and plugs are stressed, so any defect will be shown. 99% of problem we have seen to date had to do with improper installation of the plug and porcelain cracking inside the body of the plug. This crack can not be seen easily but causes missfires at high loads."

A reputable indy shop did the spark plug swap. Same shop that does work on my race car, so I have a really hard time believing they could screw this up.

Just wanted to put this out there so that others considering this route are aware of the potential pitfalls and can make a more informed decision.
Appreciate 4