View Single Post
      03-01-2021, 04:22 AM   #145
Mike.F31.MSport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 328i (M) Wagon, '91 318is

Garage List
I gave the F31 a thorough cleaning last week. This includes under the hood. While I was there, I noticed a fair amount of oil/gunk all over the front of the engine (behind the drive belts, on the front timing cover, etc). This wasn't there when I changed the oil last time.

I traced the leak to the source - it appears to be the oil filter housing and/or oil cooler. There is no seepage around the oil filter cap. My car does have the aluminum (non-plastic) oil filter housing already.

I have one year left on my 7-year extended warranty (which I purchased at the dealership when I took delivery of the car). At 42K miles, I'm well under the extended warranty mileage limit. So I called the warranty company and this, among many other types of oil leaks, is covered. I'm dropping the car off at the dealer today. I've been promised a loaner and I may request something with a manual transmission, so we'll see what I get.

I did look up how how to replace the oil filter housing gasket myself. The only hiccup is one bolt doesn't clear the intake manifold, which needs to be loosened. Doesn't look particularly hard and the gasket is around $30 at FCP Euro. But I have the warranty, so I'm going to use it. :-)
Appreciate 0