03-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #51
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
I've probably got about £400 of detailing products and would consider myself to be a competent amateur. However, I would NOT use a machine polisher! A gentle hand polish/pre-wax cleans is all that is required on a new car. Unless there are scratches that need attention.

I used DoDo Juice Lime Prime to hand polish my last car. This is a mid abrasive polish and takes out most minor swirls etc with some elbow. For my new car I've bought some DoDo Juice Supernatural Micro Prime, it's less abrasive and better suited to a car that doesn't need restoration...

I helped my mate Hand Polish with Lime Prime his 04 3 Series last summer and it came up with a great shine and a different colour!

Hand polishing is the way unless you're experienced or working on a car that is really faded and you have nothing to loose. I wouldn't learn to machine polish on a brand new car!

Wash
Iron remover
Clay
Hand Polish/Pre-wax Cleanser
Wax
Seal if you want.

I was going to get my car detailed but couldn't due to the guy moving on...

So, let the dealership prepare it... They did a good job and I can't see any swirls. Phew... Just waiting for the weather to improve so I can spend a day going over the car properly. Still need to invest in a Jack etc to do the wheels properly.

So w hen did you do your first detailing on your new car? Did you not wait for seal protect to wear off?
Secondly how often do you have to detail? Can you not just wash and wax for sometime?
Finally what is iron remover? Cant seem to find it.
Thanks