View Single Post
      01-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My GT with AS is far better in snow, incomparably so, than every FWD I ever had with winters, going back 30 odd years.
Likely so, but the fact that you're emphasizing the comparison to prior FWD suggests you are primarily making your assessment on getting the car moving. My position is that, of the three basic functions, "go" is the least important versus "turn" and "stop" when considering safety and damage.

However, for getting moving, dividing the torque among four wheels is helpful to gain traction, so your observation makes sense. But, the data is clear that, for stopping and turning, you are at a disadvantage if the same car is compared on AS versus dedicated winter tires.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0