11-30-2021, 10:32 AM   #7
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
You don't provide any details about what year or model car you have? Do you already understand what parts are needed and just want to understand the installation? Or need advice on both? I've done a couple brake upgrades so I understand the issues.

There can be caveats on what parts are needed depending on which car you are starting with. Do you have 17" wheels or 18" wheels? The brakes are dependent on which size wheels because the largest only fit under 18" wheels.

Watch the Kies Motorsports videos where Bryan replaces brake rotors and pads. That's essentially the installation part. Again with some caveats.

Google "Kies Motorsports brake rotors videos"
You really need to watch Kies (or kids') video with a grain of salt.
Double check it with your BMW service manual to verify the steps.

In his video, 2 important steps were skipped or altered:
1. using a brake pedal depressor is recommended, so it will stop the brake fluid bleeding. The stopper is OK but it will continue to bleed when you remove the stopper.
2. you SHOULD remove the brake hose connected to the caliper . The threads to the caliper are flared and they cross thread easily. Installing or uninstalling the caliper without removing the brake line runs a high risk of messing up the thread on the hose and/or the caliper. Don't ask me how I know.