View Single Post
      07-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #22
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: yes please

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFore View Post
Okay this is kind of fun. I just spec-ed a model 3. The $35,000 car of the people spec-ed all options comes in at $80,000. Eighty thousand. Yowza! It would be faster than a current M3 to 60mph. But would you get it before the next gen M3 is out? And they are building them in a tent? Is that right? It is a stunning number if you ask me. But I suppose it is priced where other cars of that performance level are priced.
That's what I got except I left off all the auto drive stuff because I like driving. So that lowered the price by 8k. Also, it still qualifies for 7500 in tax incentives so that brings it down to 65.5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuP View Post
I think people get too focused on performance numbers, the number of times you use full throttle and the redline in everyday driving is fairly rare.

BMW has always been about driveability, for straight line performance there have always been better options.

I don't see a Tesla being much more than 'socially aware' bragging, certainly not much of a deal in terms of $ / mph, (although off the line torque is wonderful).

I'm not a fan of purely electric cars, the ecological total impact's too great, and I shudder to think about maintenance costs of a 10 year old one as the batteries and electronics start to fail.

A turbo diesel hybrid might be an interesting path, but I haven't seen anyone pursuing it.
VW was toying with a turbo diesel hybrid golf abt a decade ago but price was too high.

The instant torque of electric is definitely appealing. My last car was a 535d x-drive and the diesel torque was addictive and more useful in day to day driving situations. Seems like electric is even more of that.
Appreciate 0