View Single Post
      12-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
wespiard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i

Question 2015 F32 428i High Pitch Noise/Whine with Throttle

I purchased my F32 back in August. For some background, the car has 60k miles, and the following parts from Dinan: Stage 3 Tune, Intercooler, free flow exhaust. These parts were installed before I bought the car, so I cannot attest to the quality of the installation. I also am not sure how long the car has had the Dinan parts. I may be able to call Dinan to ask, though.

It often makes this high pitched whining, whistle-like noise when I give it a more-than-moderate amount of throttle. It doesn't happen 100% of the time. I haven't really noticed if it goes away or not as the engine heats up, but it seems like it still does it sometimes after the engine is warm.

Here is a short clip I got of it making the noise briefly while accelerating:
View post on imgur.com

As you can hear, it makes the noise briefly as the revs start to climb, and then it falls off as I come off of the throttle, even though the revs stay up. I just went out and gave it some gas while parked and it does not make the noise. It has something to do with being under load.

I have search a good amount (maybe not enough, though so please let me know if there's a post about this already) and the main problems that cause a high pitched noise are the timing chain/guide being worn, damaged turbo, loose air intake/charge pipe connection, etc. I'm 90% sure it's not the timing chain since the videos of that I have listened to sound a lot worse and different.

I just would like to have a strategy as far as eliminating these possibilities. I have a small lift and tools so I'm willing to do some digging. If any more videos or info would be useful, let me know!
Appreciate 0