View Single Post
      12-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
hhzh15
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Gran Coupe

4 series steering changes with LCI

Hi there,

I recently acquired a 2016 435i GC (departed from my e46 ZHP shortly after), built in 05/16. While I love almost everything of the car (EB II on Saddle Brown, M-sports, Premium and Tech package, Light package), the steering felt a bit too light and numb on my long drive back to home from the dealer. Sports mode felt a bit better, but not by much.

I have since started getting used to it until last weekend when I got a loaner of a 2019 440i vert during the vehicle service at my local dealer. The loaner has only the sports package, but the steering felt so good. It was properly weighted with very good feedback. It's the BMW steering sensation I do not feel from my F36. I drove both highway (top down and back road and every mile I drove in the 440i felt was really enjoyable. The steering was precise with the right amount of resistance that it does not would not jar regardless of the road surface. I felt that I was in good control and with good connection with the vehicle and the road all the time.

I know there has been a lot of complains about the steering in the early model years of F30, but the problem seemed to be addressed by 2014 with software updates.

I did not find much info about the steering feel of F32/F36, so I presume the 4 series already has the magic BMW applied to the F30. Therefore, I doubt any software update will help on my 2016 435i.

I can't help wondering if BMW improved steering feel further with the LCI on 4 series. Does anyone have similar experience or have driven both pre and post LCI 4 series?

Thanks in advance for any info.

cheers,
Appreciate 0