03-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Actually the opposite is true I would say... (if one isn't resigned to making pessimistic assumptions and being a negative Nelly)....

Just as one would perhaps " splurge" when finding some extra cash ( lottery winnings, tax return.. bonus at work.. or just a good year of income)... a manufacturer can take more risks with extra cash in the coffers. While that may not result in BMW creating a new model with a bespoke motor and ancillary items.... BMW could potentially take some projects more to the extreme.... For example.... if they previously didn't plan to make an M2 CSL.. then perhaps with an influx of newly found cash they might decide to go and pull the wraps off a project that has been mothballed.

It certainly seems that something like this did occur with the 1M. Clearly.. BMW had no plans to make it.. while at the same time the E84 BMW X1 was selling like hotcakes and BMW AG cast aside the bean counters and allowed BMW M to develop the 1M.

With the M4 CS and M3 CS announced..... an updated M2 coming.. X3 M40 and X4 M40 announced, X3M and X4M coming.. along with the 8 series and the M8 gran coupe and potentially a new Z4 (apparently none of these including the M8 are the " inspiring driver's car " you are looking for.. )

While I agree to a your comment that I would like something a little wilder than the current offerings.. (a 6 speed M2 CSL or GTS would work for me and is certainly still possible if BMW were to greenlight such a project.. ) what vehicle is it that you are hoping for BMW to make that you are so convinced they will not ?
I just don’t get excited about limited editions of special versions of performance models of regular cars. Yes, I’m being facetious, but there’s nothing inspiring about tacking on some off the shelf parts, slapping a new badge on it, limiting production to only a few hundred, and seeing fanboys drool over them. Equally not impressive is continually adding so many different models that it statts becoming to difficult to discern between them.

The jury’s still out for me with the 8 series/M8 and I’ll admit it’s piqued my interest, but at this point with so many models and permutations, probability dictates they will produce something good eventually. It’s like throwing a bunch of darts at the board and hoping a few stick.

To answer your question about what model I’m hoping they will make? None. They already have winning cars in their lineup. They just need to cut down all the others.

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i
Appreciate 1