View Single Post
      08-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #29
80386i
Rep
Drives: X5 35d 2014

Potential EGR module recall for US cars

I have US version 2014 x5 35d. Last year, I temporarily relocated to S. Korea and brought my car. As you may know, there is a serious fire issue recently and the authority is about to impose driving ban on affected BMW diesel vehicles that did not get EGR module replaced. There is a suspicion that BMW Korea manipulated the software to pass the emission test which caused this problem but BMW AG says that it is a completely hardware issue: they have a flawed EGR module on their cars.

Today I stopped by one of the BMW official service centers and get my car examined. They found my EGR module starts showing the symptom of malfunctioning and told me to leave the car at the center for the module replacement. This incident has two implications: 1) Perhaps it is really hardware problem that affect ANY diesel models within a certain period of production year 2) If you own a diesel vehicle in US, you guys are not free from this problem.

P.S. I checked NHTSA website with VIN of my car but I could find any recall notification. BMW NA must response to this incident.
Appreciate 0