STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive335 View Post
Source?

I have the AWE midpipe instead of my resonator, didn't lose any torque, it sounds great, has no drone. The only downside is that cold starts are much louder.

This is because the "resonator" isn't actually a resonator - it's a secondary catalytic converter that doesn't have any sensors. It's used during cold starts and warm ups. When the car warms up, the main catalytic converter (with the sensors) takes over and the secondary cat isn't fully utilized.

On the other hand, the downpipe replaces the primary catalytic converter, which IS monitored closely by the car, and will throw codes and fail emissions testing if deleted. And is more likely to cause drone since that is the cat used during regular driving.

Some people will have a downpipe, get the resonator delete, and then complain that there's too much drone and go back to DP only - that's because of the DP, not the resonator delete.
i think you are confusing your resonator with your secondary cats. they are two different things. a resonator has special baffling inside specifically designed for your engine to reduce drone. my quote was sourced from The Axiom - a veteran on this forum with a high reputation. he specified that you lose torque from deleting a resonator unless you fit an x-pipe in the same place where the resonator is supposed to be.

if you look at an exhaust from an e92, or a n55 stock exhaust you will note that there is a factory x-pipe in place of where a resonator would otherwise be. its there for a reason.
Appreciate 0