View Single Post
      01-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #174
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq_z View Post
New F30 335 owner here. What's been your experience with the Turner DP so far in terms of fitment/performance/sound? Also, same question for anyone with a Fabspeed DP. $500 to $1,100 seems like a big jump in price. Thanks!
Fabspeed catted has the longest track record of guaranteed no CEL and emissions-ready state. I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and fitment was spot on (they actually have a QA check process which you will receive in the box). Note that fabspeed comes with the additional support bracket on the DP. Not sure about turner but some other vendors do not, in which case the vbands are the only thing that holds it in place and presumably that puts a lot of stress on the turbo outlet, especially with a 1 piece exhaust. I know plenty of people run this setup (e.g., VRSF), but the idea of that did not sit well with me for the long term, so i would not consider running any DP that does not have at least 1 support bracket.

From my experience, there was a nearly negligible change in exhaust volume from the stock to fabspeed cat change, with stock exhaust. Slightly louder on cold starts but only really noticeable if you are looking for it. Maybe slightly louder under hard acceleration but pretty much impossible to tell in a well-insulated cabin. However, the performance benefit is still substantial (fabspeed claims 93% the flow of their catless). Also, from what i have seen on other posts and videos, the sound difference between OEM and fabspeed will be more substantial when you have an aftermarket exhaust, most notably more turbo spool noise, which is all but muted with stock DP. This is probably true for the change from OEM to any catted DP unless it is very high cell.

The other aspect, smell - the fabspeed seems to almost smell less than OEM on cold starts (maybe it reaches operating temp faster?), and zero increase in fuel/other odors compared to stock in all other conditions.

Also i would note that fabspeed base price is $1400, so unless you are able to stack some sales (which are kindof rare), the difference between the two will be more significant.

EDIT: I see you are in CA. with a 2012 you will need to pass emissions in 2020. That is a major consideration for the fabspeed. I don't think turner will pass emissions (to be confirmed).
Appreciate 3