02-03-2023, 10:32 AM   #14
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
There is no soft-close out of factory Neither on the tailgate, nor on the doors.
I disagree. It is not as fancy as the door soft close systems of higher end models but BMW's own technical documentation refers to the tailgate lock system to have soft close operation:
The electronics for controlling and monitoring the soft close function are located in the tailgate Automatic Soft Close system drive. The sensor system for the Automatic Soft Close system is located in the tailgate lock. The sensor system consists of a group of microswitches (locking pawl switch and rotary striker switch). The position of the rotary striker is recorded with the locking pawl switch (open, preclosed, closed).

The drive is connected to terminal 30B. The fuse is located in the rear power distribution box.

When the locking pawl switch is actuated by the tailgate being lightly pressed into tailgate lock (the tailgate is then in the preclosed position), the tailgate Automatic Soft Close system drive is triggered. The drive electronics initiate the tailgate lock closing action. The drive moves the rotary striker via a Bowden cable far enough for the locking pawl switch and rotary striker switch to indicate a change in status. The lock pin is then engaged in the rotary striker and secured. Activation of the drive is stopped. In order not to obstruct the opening procedure, the drive reverses and again releases the Bowden cable.

It could of course be that this described system is not part of F36 but TIS is listing it for my car and it has a picture of the actuator which is identical to part 51247269516 which at least my car has.

In my car you can clearly hear and see that sometimes when it just happens to close with slightly less speed then there is a buzzing sound of actuator and you can see the lid moving just a bit. In my case it is about 50/50 and I can get the "soft close" to activate every time if I slow it down at the end of the motion with my hand.
Appreciate 1