08-02-2017, 07:36 AM   #29
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpete13 View Post
I was in a similar accident last week where someone pulled out on me, can't post pictures right now though, everyone ok too, no airbags deployed. MA law states that older vehicles are repaired with aftermarket not OEM parts. Can anyone speak to the quality of any aftermarket pieces?

I will speak to the shop about certain things being OEM though - I'll need hood, drivers fender, headlight and bumper. There was antifreeze leaking from my car also...

Obviously headlight needs to be OEM but what about body panels? Thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpete13 View Post
not sure exactly what the law says, insurance agent explained to me.
http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/docs/doi/l...gs/211-133.pdf

Google is a wonderful thing

The important part is here:
Quote:
When it is determined that a part must be replaced, a rebuilt, aftermarket or used part of like kind and quality shall be used in the appraisal unless:
(a) the operational safety of the vehicle might otherwise be impaired;
(b) reasonable and diligent efforts to locate the appropriate rebuilt, aftermarket or used part have been unsuccessful;
(c) a new original equipment part of like kind and quality is available and will result in the lowest overall repair cost;

(d) for vehicles insured under policies written on or before December 31, 2003, the vehicle has been used no more than 15,000 miles unless the pre-accident condition warrants otherwise; or.
(e) for vehicles insured under policies written or renewed on or after January 1, 2004, the vehicle has been used no more than 20,000 miles unless the pre-accident condition warrants otherwise.

A part is of like kind and quality when it is of equal or better condition than the preaccident part.
Appreciate 0