View Single Post
      12-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #113
qualicas
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

Got the head off. Just a note about the timing chain. The TIS shows how to splice one together, To replace one in one piece, the front harmonic balancer bolt has to come out. The locking pin from the timing kit is not strong enough. I made a special alum block to hold the starter ring gear. Then I used a 4 ft snipe to loosen the bolt. Also had to make a special brace so I didn't flip the engine stand over. When that bolt is out the whole timing chain and oil pump gears all come out on the crank shaft extension. Surprisingly, they are not keyed in place. Just held by friction of the big bolt. Not the way I would do it!
I pulled the pistons they had a lot of carbon built up. I am soaking them in diesel to loosen everything. Also lots of carbon on the side of the piston to the top ring. Still have to pull the crank shaft girdle to look at the main bearings. Then pull the balance shaft/oil pump apart. I am surprised I have not found any metal from the intake cam sprocket. No damage other than the intake cam bearing caps.
Appreciate 0