View Single Post
      03-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #11
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
After reviewing the Bentley manual it's worth mentioning that you should not just go and pop the pump out in an attempt to replace it. The pump sprocket is timed to the timing chain, and if you were to pull the pump out you will being removing the engine afterwards to get the timing back in sync. There is a special tool set that is about $150 which holds the sprocket in place whilst the pump itself is removed.

So it doesn't seem like there is much of a solution for high mileage BMW owners at present. It's either you procatively spend $600 for a pump plus $150 in special tools to install it, which begs the question... what did they update when Bosch changed from PN "0986437424" to "0445010517" in August 2015? And does it mitigate the issue of the pump failures? Or you just have a ticking time bomb under the hood, with the potential to cause $10,000 in damage.

VW is offering an unlimited mile / 2year warranty on all of their CPO TDI's... I'm strongly considering giving this car the boot and going back over to VW. It will probably take me about another 6 months to hit the 120k mark, so I suppose I will cross my fingers and hope BMW decides to recall or that the pumps come down in cost by then.
This is true.... you do not want to remove the pump without the special tools. The pump isn't all that hard to replace. It calls for removing the intake manifold, but it can be done without. I've done a bunch this way.

I'm still amazed BMW hasn't recalled these earlier N47/N57 pumps. We're a small town dealer, and we get one towed in every couple months it seems. I can't say I remember any 9/15+ (2016 model year+) failing, but I'm not totally sure. This is something that has probably been fixed in production, but we've never heard anything official on it.

The cost to fix is one thing, the potential safety issues from the engine stalling is another. Plus, we've seen at least two engines need to be replaced because the pump seized and stripped out the drive lug for the pump, or broke the timing chain.

I tell anyone who wants an honest opinion to stay away from any BMW diesel. The benefits don't outweigh the added costs and/or headaches in my opinion. No offense intended to any owners here.