View Single Post
      12-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #34
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

People don't get it.

One of the great things about having an EV for my daily driver is I don't have to STOP for ANYTHING! With 250 miles of daily range, I don't have to stop to charge and I certainly don't have to stop for gas. I just unplug the car in the morning and plug it back in at night. Done.

My family has been using an EV as our daily driver for about 5 years now. (We are on our 3rd EV). I don't have any idea where there is a public charging station cause I've NEVER needed or wanted to use one. The only time I find out what gas (diesel) prices are is the few times each year we take my truck for long road trips... (The truck also pulls my M4 race car trailer)

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder who is so busy trying to tell everyone that we need more public chargers to really make this "EV thing" work? Over 70% of EV owners charge at home.

I also fully understand that an EV is not going to work for everyone, but most families have 2+ cars so its likely 1 of them could be an EV. As range improves, it becomes a more realistic option for more people. I'm not driving an EV because its good for the environment, I'm driving an EV because its much more convenient for me. We really like not having to stop for gas (or charging)!

I also understand that some people rent their homes and apartments so installing a charger may not be possible or practical. But like having a dishwasher, this kind of feature will likely become much more of a standard offering as time goes by. Particularly as more people adopt EV's as their primary driver....

Besides home, the other really good opportunity to charge would be at work. We have been talking about putting in a couple of charging stations for our employees (even though I'm the only one with an EV and I don't really need it). Its all about the future. While I can meet my daily charging needs overnight at home, other people might more conveniently be able to do this during the day while they are at work (particularly if they live in an apartment, etc).

Point is, with the ranges we have had available for several years now (200+ miles), so many more folks certainly have the option of using an EV as their daily driver and never have to worry about public charging at all.

...and Rivian will be releasing a pickup truck and SUV next year with 400+ miles range! https://products.rivian.com/. Things are only getting better!
Appreciate 0