Rep
Drives: 435i X-Drive - Standard

2014 435i headache- Misfires and Mystery

Car Details:
stock
x-drive
manual
93,000 on it.

I just recently bought this car. It's quite a beauty. It's also my first BMW, so I'm learning quite a bit here in how to do repairs and maintenance for one, and have run into my first quandary. The car had been running well, until just the other day I noticed sudden power loss and engine stuttering. What quickly proceeded was a Drivetrain Malfunction error, which stated I could drive moderately.

I took it to the nearest auto parts store to get the code read. It showed Cylinder 5 Misfire. So, first thought and suggestion was for spark plugs to be replaced. So, I did that. I noticed some corrosion on some of the coil packs but nothing too seemingly out of the ordinary with them, (also seeing as how there was just one cylinder which showed a misfire at the start of all this).

I bought a whole new set of 6, Bosch Fine Wire Double Platinum Spark Plugs
Part #: ZR5TPP33S pre-gapped (and it’s worth mentioning, I didn't verify the gap, but should I have?), and, if so should the gap be different than what is factory preset, and be then set to what gap?
I didn't use any anti-seize like suggested, but should I have used dielectric grease?

ALL the plugs taken out were in pretty rough shape and clearly needed replacing, especially Cylinder 5's- completely black, (to note-dry, but) smelled of fuel.

I made sure to correctly seat all the coils after placing in the plugs.
Thinking this would solve everything, I started it up, and ugh same symptoms of rough idle, jittery and inconsistent engine power.
Took it back to get code read and... NOW ALL 6 Cylinders are misfiring, what in the

So, I am appealing to the forum and the experts here as to what I may need to do next. I am trying to avoid bringing it into a shop if possible, as I have enough basic knowledge, the internet, and the tools to do most all basic to intermediate repairs/servicing myself, but... this is a new car for me, and it's a BMW, (not a honda civic si, like my previous car was).
I have all new cylinder packs on order to arrive Sunday, anyone feel this could be the cause now that new plugs are in? Or something more nefarious?

Thank you all.

Last edited by pinbacker; 10-19-2019 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0