View Single Post
      05-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #44
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
I am a little confused as to why some people think that this comparison isn't relevant because a new C class will be coming out in a few years. Unless it has reached the showroom floor, it is irrelevant to me to even think about the new model. The current C250 is what Mercedes offers right now, so I find it completely relevant to compare it with the 328i. Of course there is a major price difference between the two and that should be mentioned in any comparison of the two cars. However, if you are looking for a luxury 4 cylinder, an average consumer probably will compare the two.

Besides the obvious error, I found the review to be right on. When I drove the C250, I liked it. However, when I test drove the 328i, there really wasn't a comparison, and it wasn't even a sport line. In the C250, I really felt like I was driving my grandpa's S600, just a smaller version with less power. I am not so sure that is a bad thing, just different from what I want in a car.
Completely agree. If you look at base prices which is what most car buyers do, the C250 and 328i sedans are within $100.00. They are direct competitors. And it makes no difference that the Mercedes is an older design. Both are 2012 models and that's all that matters. BMW, Mercedes and Audi have different product cycles. And this will always be the case. If you wait a few years for the all new C series, the F30 will be a bit dated. As far as the as tested price difference, it's somewhat irrelevant but if you compare comparably equipped models, the BMW will be about 3-5% more expensive but not the 20+% in this test.
Appreciate 0