04-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 MB SLK 350 & '12 BMW 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskercubfan View Post
Are we talking fully loaded 3 series vs base 5 series? I would select the 3 series all day in that case.
+1,000,000

I definitely agree with this statement. Also, I wanted to clarify with the OP when he is stating it is a base 5 series, which I would assume is the 528i? Is this the correct assumption? If that is so, we need to take note (if driving dynamics is important to the OP), that the 528i has the N20 engine (just as the 3 series). The N20's power in an F30 stays true to Bimmer's "Ultimate Driving Experience" dynamics much more than the 4-banger in the 528i. But I want to note that if it's the 535i, then the engine in the 535i is more suitable to the 5 series.

Now when thread members mention size in the 5 vs the 3, I came to the realization that the size of the new F30 is close to the size of the previous generation 5 series (E60), and I don't really see any issues that were brought up with it's size back then. Now if your looking for a smaller 7, then the new 5 series (535i and 550i) is the perfect choice, because I believe you are not missing out on the driving dynamics with the appropriate engine in those models.

But in all honesty, having a fully loaded F30 (either 328i or 335i) is more attractive offer than a base F10, specifically the 528i. And I have read in other threads on different forums that the F30 will have less depreciation in the long run than the F10. Not so sure if this is a valid assumption, but also something to take note of. But it all comes down to what you absolutely need in your Bimmer.

To the OP: Keep us updated on what you choose.
Appreciate 0