09-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaelite32 View Post
Greetings from UK !

....Second is my budget. It would get me a prefacelift 440i but I can get a facelift 340i. I understand there were suspension tweaks to both models so with that in mind and the lighter weight I am trying to convince myself a 340i would be better handling, more agile and faster.

What do you guys think? What would you do in my situation?
I can partially answer the suspension thing.

First, The front suspension went from a 3-bolt to a 5-bolt strut. This provided for a stronger more responsive front suspension. The 5-bolt models built after March 2014 (I have a June 2014 build with newer style). Although each model year is said to have tweaks to the steering, the LCI model came with reprogrammed electronic steering, slightly better.

Second, Are you looking at xDrive or RWD? The xDrive has a higher ground clearance than rear wheel drive and it was soft.

Third, the Sport or M-Sport versions have the stiffer "704" sport suspension, xDrives are ALL base suspensions. Sport and M-Sport suspensions are 20mm lower than base suspension.

Fourth, the 4-series has a lower center of gravity, it will handle better.

My first F30 was the xDrive and I found it comfortable but lacked that cornering I craved. I sold it an purchased a RWD M-Sport 335i with zero regrets. I have driven the LCI 340i and it is more refined and the engine does pull a little harder. In other words, it does drive better (just a little).

Conclusion: Do not overthink the suspension or drive-ability. The LCI has some improvements, these are not deal breakers, only tweaks. Only a few people would ever notice the difference between the years. The extra performance found in the 340i vs. the 435i are minimal (about 5% or 20 HP). You obviously like the 4-Series better. You find the lines more attractive, the hatchback is really nice. Last and most important since you are bringing up the handling, get the Sport or M-Sport RWD for the better suspension and the better sport seats. The looks and functionality you cannot change. Each day as you walk up to the car, you will have a smile, you don't want to walk up and wish it were the 4. You could always improve the drive-ability to suit your taste such as a BMW MPPK Tune (35HP gain) or aftermarket springs to improve the stance and handling, but these are later after you have been driving. Good Luck!

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0