Thread: Blown B58
View Single Post
      09-27-2020, 10:55 PM   #1
Dyna+
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Blown B58

Figured I would start a fresh thread for this one as the other one was getting a little confusing.

Long story short I was running a catless DP, AP Intake, and a BM3 Stage 2 (93oct) tune on 91 and using some pretty heavy (+30pts) octane booster to supplement.

One night on the way home we were sitting at a stoplight and got a misfire on Cyl5 and then she started smoking.... Unfortunately I wasn’t logging at the time...

Was debating dropping a used motor in and decided that the old one had to come out anyway so might as well tear into it and see if it could be rebuilt...

Well, we got everything apart and looks like Cyl5 blew the ring lands out...YIKES!! Whats even crazier is that there are literally NO signs of detonation anywhere. The standing theory now is that the injector washed the cyl out and thus the rings seized on the piston and over heated and the bottom lands let go.

We’re gonna try to hone the cyl and drop some CP Carrillo pistons in with new rings and bearings all around (and stick with a 91octane tune). Hopefully it works out...
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
drivef30111.00
BWbimmer276.50
kern4174449.50
eluded3041.50
B58 parts477.00