View Single Post
      09-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
woojah
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Good news story whilst in Germany

I don't post here much, but thought you might like to hear a good news story, courtesy of BMW Germany.

My check engine light came on about 900 miles into my summer European road trip (UK --> France --> Luxembourg --> Germany (Black Forest) --> Switzerland --> UK).

I was in Germany at the time, so I stopped at the nearest BMW dealer to get the issue diagnosed. I was hoping it was something minor like the fuel cap being loose and the error code needing to be reset.

It turned out that the EGR value needed replacing at a cost of 1100 Euros! At almost 4 1/2 years old my car was out of warranty. And with about 800 miles more to go until home I of course had to go ahead with the repair.

The service guy was excellent. Without me saying anything he asked BMW if they would cover the cost of the repair under goodwill. But I would have to wait until the next day to find out if they would. He was pretty sure as my car was under 5 years old and had less than 100,000km (I had only just done about 31k miles at the time).

The next day comes along.... and he was right! I only had a bill for the coolant and a courtesy car for 24 hours. And on that note, I didn't like the X2 18d - not a great drive (felt very soft and wobbly) and surprisingly small inside.

Apart from this *slight* hiccup, my F31 335d was perfect for the trip. Effortless cruising for four passengers and a dog. It was so good on continental European roads and there's just so much less tyre noise on those surfaces. And it definitely held its own on the unrestricted parts of the autobahn
Appreciate 6
djcowlin283.00
Quantox308.50
JustChris17483.00
willjames708.00