View Single Post
      03-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL53 View Post
Apologies for resurrecting your thread - I have had the same issue with my F30. Please could you let us know what parts you purchased to fix the wiring?
This happened to me on my 2014. Seems to be a common problem with BMW’s. In my case (and it looks the same on this car), it was the brown ground pin which cooked. Probably the interconnect in the connector is just not thick enough and it cooks, just like a burnt fuse. On my car, the ground is shared with the brake light and the turn signal. To repair it, I took a little bit of speaker cable and soldered it to the metal inside the housing. You need to scrape the metal a bit to roughen it for the solder to adhere. Once the wire is soldered, now you have a nice, thick ground which won’t fail. But, you need to get to through to where that connector is. In my housing, near that connector, there’s a small white cap which is removable. Pretty sure the purpose is to allow condensation to dry out without letting water in. If you pull this white cap off, you can thread the wire through, then replace the white cap.

Then I bought a simple spade lug male and female connector. I crimped one to the new wire I soldered in. Then, I pulled the wire from the “cooked” connector and crimped the other spade connector to that wire. Install the housing, attach the stock wire connector, and connect your two spade lug connectors. This way, you can easily disconnect the wires in the future when you need to replace a bulb.

A few months later, I took the car to the dealer for service and they replaced it all under warranty with stock parts, but I’m certain that my repair was far more durable than stock. I have some pictures but can’t attach them now. PM me if you’d like to see them or if you need more clear details.

Last edited by Rebound; 03-04-2018 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0