United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
History, heritage, brand awareness, goodwill.

It's been a 3 series since the inception of the car back with the E21 in 1975. Changing for changes sake is not what BMW is about.
I can understand the history and brand awareness, but those 3 series 'coupes' were styled more like 2-door sedans up through the E36 chassis. The dimensions were very close if not the same then as well. Ever since the introduction of the E46, the coupes have become lower, wider, and sleeker than their sedan counterparts. My feeling is that BMW wants to further differentiate the coupes from the sedans like that of the 5 and 6 series. Really they just want to show all the coupes/roadsters/convertibles as even number models and all sedan/hatches/wagons as odd number models which in theory makes some sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
I'm pretty sure the 3-Series whether it be sedan or coupe is BMW's bread and butter. So yes, there's more to the 3-Series moniker than just the badge on the back of the car.

But with that said, sometimes you just have to move on similar to what Apple did to the MacBook, it was their laptop and they ended up killing it in favor of the MacBook Air.
That is true, but they won't be abandoning the name altogether.