06-22-2018, 01:12 AM   #72
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My hi-fi woofers that I measured aren't 2 ohms. Their resistance is 2.4 ohms, which translates to about 3.4 ohms impedance. I haven't measured H-K woofers, because I don't have them. If the H-K amp can handle a 2 ohm load then logically H-K would have specified 2 ohm woofers, but trying to get definitive specs is like pulling teeth from a worm.

Probably. You can get lower frequency extension with higher output, but not without increasing power. You can get higher output without increasing power, but it won't go as low. You can go lower without increasing power, but it won't go as loud. There's always a trade off, and there are no magic drivers. They all have to conform to the same laws of physics.
Geez... Never thought this would become so complicated. Considering how many people have done these upgrades on the 3 series, I figured this would be an easy ask!

So would this plan work? When I get the car, I pull out the subs, and see what's the sticker on them say for impedence? I've seen pictures posted of subs, like this one, so it should say on it?

Bottom line, if they are in fact 2 ohm subs, then it's not a good idea to swap in my 4 ohm subs, right?

And I'm surprised to hear that about the Bavsound speakers... What you say makes sense. I guess they're trying to say that their speakers are somehow more efficient, so with the same power, can put out a lot more bass. And that's just not technically possible you figure?

I can see stretching things a bit, but $600 is really expensive if you're not really get much for it. They offer a 100 day in car trial though, which I'd be surprised they do, if they aren't really confident in their product?
Appreciate 0